Tuesday, August 21, 2012

August ICLW

Welcome to my little piece of the blogging world. I haven’t been here for very long but the benefits I’ve reaped have been wonderful! I am so grateful for the support I have received.
Currently, I am in the middle of a whole new type of TWW. I am going through my second round of IVF…we have two frozen embryos right now and are waiting for the results of the PGD testing. I am really hoping we’ll have results at this time next week. We had to send a blood sample this week in order for the lab to map out our chromosomes as a part of the testing for the embies.
Here is more about us and our journey:
·         I suffered three early miscarriages between October 2010 and July 2011.

·         After the 2nd miscarriage I had the blood work done for the RPL panel and had an HSG. Good news was all was clear on the HSG…bad news? I have a Robertsonian Balanced Translocation. In a nutshell, the long arms of my 13th and 14th chromosomes are fused together. I have all of the correct genetic material but it becomes a problem when trying to conceive.

·         Found an RE in the area based on the recommendation of one of J’s co-workers. His wife gave birth to a healthy baby girl after 5 rounds of IVF that resulted in 3 losses.

·         I did not respond well to the meds in the first round of IVF in May so it was turned into an IUI. BFN L

·         2nd round of IVF produced 10 follicles that resulted in 4 eggs at the time of retrieval. All 4 were mature and all 4 fertilized with ICSI. After 5 days 2 were biopsied and their cells were shipped to NJ for testing.

·         We have a 66% chance that each embryo will be healthy. When I think of that other 34% I just think of the quote above to remember we have a good chance of having at least one healthy embryo. We feel like we’ve already struck out enough and now it’s our chance to hit a home run. (Grand slam if both are healthy!)
·         We live in South TX…all of our friends and family live in MA. It gets lonely for both of us at times. Blogging really helps take away some of the lonely feelings.

·         We have 2 golden retrievers who make us smile each and every day. I don’t know how we would have made it this far without them. I think they have become therapy dogs for us. J

I look forward to reading and commenting this week and getting to know you a bit better.

Happy ICLW!


  1. Thanks for stopping by at my blog.
    I really love your words of wisdom - this exact sentence has been my mantra for a while now. Good luck with your IVF cycle! Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. FX!!! And happy ICLW ;)

  2. Hi! I am visiting from ICLW. I have also suffered 3 early losses in the past year. I have been karyotyped (as has my husband) and we were both told we were normal even though my last loss was confirmed chromosomal and the others are unexplained. I wonder if they can ever make a mistake with that? I have been wondering that ever since they gave us the results. Can you tell I worry about everything now a days?

    Anyways, I have been reading through some of the posts in your blog and I find your perseverance and honesty very refreshing! Wishing you the best of luck with your next IVF cycle! I hope that this is your take home baby!

    1. Thanks so much for stopping by. I really appreciate your comments about the posts...it was a rough day and your comments made me smile.

      As for the chromosomal abnormality, I have a friend who had a similar situation. She had a 2nd trimester loss due to Trisomy 18 and then suffered a late 1st trimester loss for the same reason even though she and her husband's karyotypes came back normal.

      Best of luck to you!

  3. Hello from ICLW! Wow! Big decisions to make with the second embryo. Good luck with the choice!

  4. Hello from ICLW. You have many positive thoughts coming from me as you are preparing to make the decisions. Best of luck to you. P.S. I love that quote!