Monday, March 18, 2013

What comes after graduation day?

I am guessing none of you said "Receiving the bill for the delivery of Cinco." On Saturday when I got the mail there was an envelope from the ob/gyn practice and at first I thought it might be the test results from my blood work last week. I was wrong...it was the bill for the delivery! Yes, the delivery - before I've even see the doctor for a regular appointment. The balance is due by the 28th week. If we don't pay by then we risk having our care discontinued. Craziness. The only "good" part is that they are giving us a discount due to our outrageously high deductible. First payment is due in April. J said he is not paying a penny before we know this is going to work. I don't blame him for feeling this way at all.

10 days til we see Dr. W - I don't know what I am going to do this Friday when I need to come to work on time instead of going to see Dr. A.

7 comments:

  1. I am not sure what to think of that policy. Guess it has been way to long since I have been in the maternity loop. I definitely agree with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In one way it's good that we can make three payments rather than having to pay everything at once. I am hoping to talk to someone in billing before the first payment is due.

      Delete
  2. Wait that is totally insane. You have to start paying while you are still in your first trimester????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty crazy - "thankfully" I'll be at the beginning of my 2nd trimester when the first payment is due.

      Delete
  3. I've heard about this. The idea is that it's a way to prepay for delivery, spacing out the cost over time instead of getting one big bill. Works great for someone who assumes that pregnancy always = a healthy baby. Bring the bill with you to your first OB appointment. Among other things that can be discussed, I would talk about that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea - I am going to do that. I know it's a form letter but you would think they might realize some patients have a history of loss.

      Delete
  4. Isn't it crazy! I've been paying an amount at each OB visit to pre-pay for delivery. I have wondered and wanted to ask what happens if there is no delivery....will we get that money back. I guess that is something that those of us who have struggled with pregnancy think about. Wouldn't it be nice to be totally naive to all of those thoughts? Congrats on the graduation. The transition was so hard for me too. It was so strange to go from weekly ultrasounds to 4 weeks between appointments.

    ReplyDelete