Monday, September 24, 2018

Follow-Up on Me

Last Wednesday I had my stitches out and finally received the results from the pathology report...not the news I wanted but I wasn't all that surprised either.

The mole removed from my forehead is basal cell carcinoma...next step is MOHS surgery. I need to wait for the official path report to be sent to my PCP and then she will refer me to a MOHS surgeon. I am hoping the report is received today. I want this off of me.

The other two moles came back as inconclusive...the pathologist thought they were bug bites. My PCP told her she highly doubted that but they are not sure what they are. My PCP is hoping the surgeon might be able to tell what they are from the path report or looking at the area.

I was looking at the list for people at high risk for skin cancer and I can tick off almost everyone item on the list:

  • A lighter natural skin color. - YES
  • Family history of skin cancer. - YES
  • A personal history of skin cancer. - NO
  • Exposure to the sun through work and play. - YES, I live in TX!
  • A history of sunburns, especially early in life. - YES, almost every summer growing up!
  • A history of indoor tanning. - Thankfully, only did this once!
  • Skin that burns, freckles, reddens easily, or becomes painful in the sun. - YES
  • Blue or green eyes. - YES
  • Blond or red hair. - Red hair isn't natural but light brown is close enough. ;)
  • Certain types and a large number of moles. - ??

  • Fingers crossed I am able to have the surgery within the next couple of weeks and start healing.

    4 comments:

    1. I'm sorry that you're facing this. Sending you strength and healing. xx

      ReplyDelete
    2. I tick off a lot of those on the list as well- yikes! I hope that you can get in soon to see a surgeon!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thankfully, I am going in Oct 15th, then dermatologist appt. on 10/29...need to get the rest of the moles/freckles checked out!

        Delete